PCS to LinkedInUSAF

Click Here for
FLASH MESSAGE DETAILS

        

     Do you know who said the following quote?  E-mail me!

"Optimism (light) is the power that ultimately defeats fear (darkness)."

Wednesday, February 15, 2006


You're Looney Toons to think it's OK!

Certain things should just be common sense. Riots over cartoons are a stretch and over the top. Too much hate is being whipped up over there. That matter is a ticking you know what. I read some good arguments over at CaliValleyGirl as her feathers got ruffled by a friend. Yet, during the "ruffling", a point she put forth touched a nerve ... many of you may have that nerve too ... I am posting my comments on her blog here - you can go there to read them too. Therefore, don't take the "you" here as you, but the "you" over there in her comments section ... whatever! :) Here are my words:

I NEVER let my American Flag touch the ground. Would any of you? Do you understand why? Do you know the history, and the many men that risked their lives TO RETRIEVE OUR OLD GLORY before their position was overrun, while under heavy fire, to retrieve "The Old Girl"? Do you know how many men WATCHED the guy they've been sharing a foxhole with run to collect the flag, get cut down, and HE THEN JUMPS UP and goes to get the flag?

If so, then you KNOW why burning the American Flag is not free speech. You tread on those that have passed before you. And that is where this country has brought itself.

Never leave anyone behind. Never leave the colors, ever. Never disgrace those before you.

Powerful words. Words spoken by those that have brought you safe shopping malls and open freeways. Luxuries, compared to many other countries run by tinhorn dictators.

But, I don't riot.

Yet, if we could wrest the flag burning issue from judicial activism and place it in the hands of the people, who do YOU think would win?

I know what MY VOTE would be. And before you say, "Aww, but, they should have a right to ...", look deep in your heart and concentrate - I say, "People should protect our national symbol, the American Flag, for those that have kept it flying for us to enjoy our luxuries."

God Bless America. God Keep the American Flag Flying Free and Unsoiled. And, may God Bless all of you. Sorry for the "soap box", but this is a big one for me ...

(i lived in Germany while in the US Air Force. i had to inspect my car every morning to look for explosives. i had to watch myself when in non-military towns. during those two years we closed the gates numerous times [Rhein Main AFB is no small base!] for safety. that was in the early 80's. have any of you had to check under your car, in the engine compartment, and in the trunk before you could go to work? i thought not. think about what the American Flag brings you at home, and what it draws to you outside our borders. frightening.)


Stay Tuned to ...

7 Comments:

At 2/15/2006 08:54:00 AM, Blogger dyzgoneby said...

Most people don't get it. They just live there daily lives without any thought to it.

Another example of patriotism run amok:

I was at a basketball game this last week and when they played the National Anthem, my family stood tall and proud, hands over our heart and singing all the way through. When it was over, I had tears streaming down my face. I looked around and a older gentleman and his wife made the comment, how nice it was to see younger people show there patriotism. He told me I should have been the one down on the floor singing my heart out, not because I can sing, I can't. He said it's sad that people now days just don't get it.

My children our growing up knowing what the flag stands for and how fortunate we Americans truly are. They show respect towards "Old Glory."

 
At 2/16/2006 11:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless America.... I enjoy another Pro American Pro Military Pro USAF site.

With all the anti-blogs out there, it's nice to see something pro for a change.

From a true supporter of American troops from an American living in Greece.

 
At 2/16/2006 01:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what they teach kids these days. I remember learning about the flag in elementary school. In Brownies and Girl Scouts we learned about it, and had to learn the flag ceremony for raising and lowering the flag. In middle school, I carried the flag for the school band. In high school I was in a drum corp color guard. We saluted the flag when we passed any on review. We had to salute in the judging areas, but the reason why is the flag on display on the judges platform, we were saluting the flag, not the judges.

 
At 2/17/2006 01:29:00 AM, Blogger Carol said...

In London we've been alert to lone bags on public transport for - like - ever. That's why they had to use humans to do the job in July.

For two weeks after, every flag in town was at half mast, embassies, hotels, stores, you name it. Flags send a message, no question.

 
At 2/20/2006 02:39:00 PM, Blogger Buck said...

The way we Americans treat (or should treat, not everyone agrees) our flag is unique in all the world. No other nation in the world looks upon its flag as a national symbol worthy of such profound respect that a set code of "DOs and DON'Ts" has been established for its use, display, and honors to be given. Our flag embodies the USA.

Like Laurie, I learned Flag Code in Scouts (Boy, not Girl!), and never forgot it. The USAF only re-enforced what I already knew by heart. It pains me greatly to see ANYONE disrespect the flag.

Good on ya for speaking up, Steve.

Oh yeah...now that I think of it...I did "bomb walk-arounds" of the car while in England in the early 80s. It was just something we did, and with good reason, too.

 
At 2/23/2006 02:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On an Olympic note...

It's rather upsetting to see how a few of our Olympic athletes respond to our beautiful National Anthem on the podium - heads down, no hand over their heart, no singing (not that that's a requirement, I'm just saying). And that's not to say MOST of the athletes do obviously respect our flag and the anthem, and are so proud of their achievement for our country.
AND
I loved watching the Italian man on the podium after he won gold in figure skating the other night - the Italians were ALL waving and singing joyfully, and the gold medal winner had his hand over his heart !! Great to see!

 
At 2/23/2006 07:34:00 PM, Blogger LinkedInUSAF Founder said...

I believe that there is more to the lack of hand over heart ... my opinion, though, is far too deep to continue here. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Blog contents copyright © 2005 LinkedInUSAF                       EMAIL: LinkedInUSAF AT gmail DOT com