PCS to LinkedInUSAF

Click Here for
FLASH MESSAGE DETAILS

        

     Do you know who said the following quote?  E-mail me!

"Optimism (light) is the power that ultimately defeats fear (darkness)."

Wednesday, November 30, 2005


Lift Up Optimism to Push Back Fear!

Well, it's Day 7 - it just struck me, the 7th day of the 14 Day Push Back! means no rest for the weary! Sheesh, the pressure - as if I don't get enough at work!

I have read everyone's posts. I didn't skim, I really wanted to know what you have had to say. I will read everyone's post that follows mine, because I believe that for us all to succeed at what we truly want, we need to share in the lives of others. The blogosphere offers a TON of other people's lives! Maybe too much ... well, there's "meds" for the effects ... I digress!

The banner for this blog is my JP4:


There is a little query just above this banner. I ask anyone who stops by if they know the quote, and if so, to e-mail me the answer. The e-mail has been very light. But this is not an easy task since optimism from an orator these days is, well, rare. And this, my friends, is why I "blog". In fact, you now know the muse for my submission in this 14 Day Push Back! that Andi has been kind enough to extend to my little corner of the blogosphere.

OPTIMISM is almost non-existent in the MSM OSM LAME PMM (Prevaricating Media Machine). In fact, I have been noticing that it is often missed by our fellow Milbloggers. I am not asserting that optimism is burying ones head in the sand. The media is doing fine on their own hitting us with their invectives. I submit that we must try very hard to uncover the good and ensure that it permeates the blogosphere until it hits the general consumer. We have a responsibility to those that are sacrificing their all to protect us. Since we are "on the wall" here at home, we must lead by example and fight with the greatest power in the universe: optimism.

Pessimism, derision, pacifism, collusion, treason - these can be summoned with ease. It takes no effort at all to run pell mell into a diatribe of negativity. It is simple to tear something, or someone, down in no time at all. It is simple to wait for someone to make a decision and then as they execute point out everything that can go wrong. It is oh so simple to lie in wait to sabotage the noble efforts of those in harm's way. It's not easy bringing freedom to us all.

When did we, those who have served, those who are serving now, those who have loved ones that have served, those who have loved ones serving now, ever take the easy way? It is a far greater thing to lead everyone with optimism, charity, fidelity, camaraderie, inclusion - far greater, and much harder. That, my friends, is the essence of leadership. I believe that this is what is missing today and must be faced head on for the greatest reward: freedom.

One place I like to go to get a little, optimism, is a blog authored by Amy Proctor. A few days ago when I was stuffed to the gills with turkey, pie, and, ok, a bit-O-the-grape, Amy's posting on war criminals tickled my funny bone. This teeny bit from her whole post struck me just the right way:
"The common denominator in the spread of terrorism and defense of terrorists is anti-Americanism and pacifism. The common denominator in ridding the world of terrorism is success in Iraq. Even Barbie could do the math."
Both my daughters love Barbie. I've never noticed Barbie to offer any sort of counsel to my girls, let alone helping them with their math homework! Sheesh, success in Iraq is a no brainer! (she's chuckling, I'm sure - I'm a goof) You really don't need to look too deep to see what it takes to secure freedom. Here, some simple math:
PACIFISM = DEFEAT BY TERRORISM

OPTIMISM = DEFEAT OF TERRORISM

DEFEAT OF TERRORISM = FREEDOM
Many of the great orators spoke in positives, brimming with optimism, and promoting a vision that everyone can understand. If I say the following names, do you associate pacifism, derision, or pessimism with these names:

  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Theodore Roosevelt
  • Winston Churchill
  • George S. Patton
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Bernard Montgomery
  • Henry Kissinger
  • Kelly Johnson
  • Margaret Thatcher
  • Ronald Reagan
I have only experienced a few of the above speakers, in real time. Many of the others I have read their speeches, listened to tapes, or watched them on TV or video. The true measure of a leader is their ability to drive optimism to the core and never take their eye off the ball.

Optimistically leading by example is often right in front of us. It can accidentally be taken for granted. I know that many of you don't take US Military Reservists for granted, but those outside the "true support circle" fall prey regularly. Sara Horn of Faith at the Front is one of the most optimistic bloggers I have encountered so far. She is building two very great sites, her own blog, and a website called A Greater Freedom. Ollie North is a featured columnist as well as a very positive and optimistic force at A Greater Freedom.com. I was reading her post on her personal blog about reservists and realized that sometimes folks in our own inner circle get tripped up:
"My husband is a Navy Seabee, a reservist with a construction battalion that's based out of Millington. He recently re-enlisted for another six years and it was interesting to see the reactions of people, even friends, when we told them.

Many of them immediately voiced the question "why would you want to do that? Don't you know you could get called up?"

Uh... yeah. But that's one of the points of serving as a reservist - you sign up with the understanding that you could be called to serve your country at any time."
Leading by example can be as simple as being ready through constant training, not whining, and if they call, answer. There are tears, there is separation, it's hard, and one questions the decision to go once in a while. In Sara's words it is clear, to me, that their family is always optimistic and committed to serve - and not just in Military Service. Her example keeps me on course and jazzed about getting the good stuff about the global war on terror out to the masses.

Finally, when I need a jolt of reality with some good stuff sprinkled around, I wander on over to visit Kit and Heidi of Euphoric Reality. They both keep each other going and even when the subject is dire, they keep up the optimism. We all have our down days, I mean I even went into the weeds when I posted "Open Mic Day" this Veteran's Day. Many bloggers out there can get kinda, testy, when they see something slipping by or misquoted to the detriment of the cause. Kit really reset my Nav System with a recent post about Conservative Milbloggers taking shots at one another. What she said really makes us realize we need to lead by example:
"Maybe I'll catch flak for "taking myself too seriously". Well, you know what? I do take blogging seriously. I know Heidi does too. I think we all should. It's a big responsibility. Sure, it's fun and sometimes exciting, and sometimes we talk about harmless, amusing topics. But when the guns come out, the bottom line is that we owe more to our readership than rampant immaturity and personal attacks on bloggers that in all actuality are allies. It's one thing to smack down trolls or take on liberals. But this kind of commenting is contradictory to everything we say we are for. How can we laugh at the libs eating their own over at DU when we're doing it ourselves? We're supposed to be the mature ones."
And, she's right! With all the derision and invectives being slung our way, the constant drain on our troops because of false statements and two-faced support, why are we lobbing grenades at one another? What sort of example is that setting for those out there watching on the sidelines, or peeking into our slice of the blogosphere? Shall we be destined to fall by the same ease at which pessimism, derision, and pacifism can take over? My blog in no way has the traffic or reach that many others do. And I'm not rocketing to the top of some BlogAwardThingee because I am not controversial or caustic. I don't begrudge my fellow Milbloggers their status, their success, or their conviction to take the fight to the real problem: MSM OSM LAME PMM (Prevaricating Media Machine)! It is harder to stay upbeat, positive, and optimistic.

I'm up for it, what about you?

Let's make this 14 Day Push Back! a success and lift up optimism, rally together in camaraderie and fidelity, and have a good ole "Celebrity Smack Down" on the evil forces of fear, derision, pessimism, and collusion!

Next up, tomorrow, Day 8, please be sure to check in on Carol of Planningblog.com! And, if you haven't already, please go back and read up from all the other folks involved in the 14 Day Push Back!:
Day 1 - Andi's World
Day 2 - Toni, Bear Creek Ledger
Day 3 - Doug Petch
Day 4 - Rightfielder
Day 5 - Gunn Nutt
Day 6 - Air Force Wife
These folks are pushing hard, let's all get behind them and help!

Stay Tuned to ...

7 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 06:26:00 AM, Blogger Sara Horn said...

Hey Steve! Thanks for the kind words! Slowly getting back into the swing of things after getting our fill of Disney last week! :) Hope your Thanksgiving was great.

 
At 11/30/2005 07:16:00 AM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

What a great post! It certainly gave me a much needed "attitude adjustment".

 
At 11/30/2005 09:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you guys on this Pushback thing have been wonderful! And your message is wonderful! You are correct about optimism. It really is the best motivator to counteract fear. Keep pushing back!
God bless you,
Donna

 
At 11/30/2005 09:48:00 AM, Blogger LinkedInUSAF Founder said...

You all are so very kind. My little corner of the blogosphere looks a whole lot brighter having you here with me! Keep the pressure on, and we need more good press and some "brass ones" from those in D.C.

Maybe some day.

Thanks again to you all, take care, and God Bless. Oh yeah,

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S!!!

(i said it, uh-huh!)

 
At 11/30/2005 01:56:00 PM, Blogger MaD DoG RE5 said...

Great point.
A "liberal" used to mean someone with new ideas.
Today it means a cynical skeptic who tears down other's ideas, and offers no viable solution.
Many Conservatives have taken the same path, and it is sad.
My philosphy teacher taught me that the skeptic is the easiest position to take. All you do is allow others to keep sharing new ideas and say, "nuh-uh- I don't like that one."
When will America come together and realize that we are at war, and that wars are not won through pessimism, nitpicking, and infighting?
When a man, or a nation of men lose hope- all is lost.

 
At 11/30/2005 07:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,

There was a Barbie several years back induced some controversy because it could talk. This is what she said:

"Math is HARD!" Well, feminists everywhere got their thongs in a bunch and I've always remembered the story.

Anyone who knows anything about the goings on in Iraq cannot call it a failure or anything close. It is a full on success and if history is any indication, we should be praising the resolve of Iraqis. Maybe I am overly optimistic... NAH, I'm just right! I have friends who serve there currently, my husband was there for a year. I know the deal, I keep myself informed... which is why I say, to even the most casual student of truth, "Even Barbie could do the math!"

Peace! It's an honor to be called an optimistic blog by you.

 
At 11/30/2005 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Man this site has really taken off. Looks great and great articles. Keep up the good work man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Blog contents copyright © 2005 LinkedInUSAF                       EMAIL: LinkedInUSAF AT gmail DOT com